Wednesday, February 8, 2012

WWMJD?

Today I am grateful for Michael Jackson.

Thats right.

I don't care what all those haters out there say about him. The man was a legend. The King of motherfucking Pop.

BAMF


His music makes me happy on a level that is just so hard to explain.

It takes me back to my childhood. MJ released his album Bad in 1987. That's the year I was born. and all those songs are just always there, playing in the background in my memories of growing up. The Way You Make Me Feel, Bad, Smooth Criminal, Man in The Mirror. They all hold such very dear places in my heart. Not to mention if you fast foward a few years no one that grew up in the early 90s can hear Will You Be There without flashing back to the first time they watched Free Willy.

I also grew up with parents that graduated in 1985. So music in my house didn't suck. I'm almost 100% sure my Dad has the Thriller album. I mean, it is one of THE BEST SELLING ALBUMS of all time. Even the weird anti-social kids get up and shake it when the dj plays Thriller.

Even if the music video was creepy as all get out.
Awesome, but creepy.


Life instantly becomes more awesome when MJ comes on the radio. Even at 2:45 on a friday at work when the day has just been exhausting and all you want to do is just say to hell with it and go home..just wait. If Wanna Be Startin' Something comes on the radio? Instant reboot.

Today was just a Michael Jackson kind of day for me. My Father-in-law gave me Michael Jackson's 2 disk Greatest Hits Collection as an apology for bad mouthing him in front of me after he died. I keep it in my car for when the need strikes. You know, that moment when you NEED to listen to Billie Jean. Doesn't happen to you? You must be in denial. It happens to everyone.

Jamming to Michael in the car with my kids is kind of a perfect moment in my world. It also reminded me that i still needed to watch Glee's Michael episode. (Which you know I obviously did if you are a gleek based on this post's title)

It was spectacular, in case you were wondering.

Oh, and I'm going to take a moment to be grateful to Glee right now. because tonight when I was driving my sister (who is 17) home the song Smooth Criminal was playing in the background. And she was all "Why do I know this song from recently?" and I reminded her that Glee just did MJ. "Oh yea." she says. "most obscure songs that I recognize are because Glee has done them"

I actually think my heart stopped beating for a moment.

"Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson is NOT an obscure song". But it is to her. I suppose I should be grateful that she didn't say "Oh I know this song, it's Alien Ant Farm right?"

Is that really what it's come to now? That teenagers consider Smooth Criminal to be obscure? Do only the really BIG singles from MJ register with them? If thats the case I'm also gratfeful to have been born in a time where Michael was considered to be legend. Not just that weird guy whose doctor killed him. And I'm grateful that Glee is there to expose them to some of that greatness if nothing else is.

He revolutionized music. He revolutionized the music video. He revolutionized dance. I'll say it again, He was AMAZING. My kids will certainly know who he was and his music.

Rest In Peace King of Pop.

I'm grateful for the gift of music that he gave to this world. Because I haven't seen anyone else pull off what he did yet.

And maybe it seems silly to be grateful to a musical artist. but this blog is about being grateful for what makes me happy. And Today? It was him.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment