Sunday, February 12, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Today I am grateful for my house.

That The Marsh and I were able to buy our own house.

Our own Home.

It's not too fancy, but it's ours.

You see, The Marsh and I had grand plans of living in our apartment until we could save up enough to build the house of our dreams. Cute, right? That was the plan until one day he came home and I told him I was going to check myself into a mental institution if I had to live in the apartment for another year.

Over all the apartment was actually a very nice apartment. There are seriously worse places to live. But the other tenants? not so much. The police were always there. More than once my husband and I almost called them ourselves because our neighbors used to fight so loudly. and then the neighbors that moved in after that used to play their music SO LOUD. and the music sucked. I mean, I could have forgiven them if it was good music. But it really wasn't. We also didn't have a washer and dryer. Do you know what it's like having babies 13 months apart and no washing machine?  I pray you never have to know.

So The Marsh and I called up my super awesome God father...

My wonderful Uncle Scott

who lucky for us just happens to be a mortgage loan officer. He made the process of getting approved so simple and quick. He was able to answer any questions and concerns we had through out the whole process. Having him be such an essential part of buying our house made it even more special for The Marsh and me. I'm grateful for that as well.

Once we were pre-approved and met with a real estate agent we couldn't imagine that things could possibly go any smoother. Until we found the house we wanted on the very first day we looked. It was seriously all meant to be. (However it didn't stop me from developing an eye twitch that lasted from the day The Marsh agreed to go ahead and start the process until the day we closed. weirdest thing ever.)

The location is perfect. It's in the town we wanted without actually being "in town". We have plenty of land, which includes lots of open yard area for my children to play in but also lots of trees for future exploration. and privacy. We're also away from traffic so I don't live in constant fear of my kids running out into the road. It's quiet and peaceful. and beautiful. We actually bought the house for the property. Not that I don't love my house, but you can always add to your house. You can't add to your property. (most of the time)

traffic free dirt road? yes please.

lots of room for babies to run and yell and play? yes please.

Our house is in really great condition too. We knew we didn't want a fixer upper if we could help it. And our house? Less than 20 years old. No worrying about lead paint or god knows what in the pipes. Nothing major has gone wrong in the year and a half we've been here *knocks on wood*. I'm grateful for that every day.

It's not a large house. but it has plenty of space for our little family. My kitchen has plenty of cubboard space and lots of counter space. Perfect for cooking and baking.

or you know, breaking it down on your 23rd birthday.

There are enough bedrooms that my babes could have their own rooms if they wanted. which they currently don't, so they share. When the time comes though, we'll be ready. The other upstairs bedroom is currently being used as a classroom.


I love having a dedicated space in my house for painting, coloring, and learning. It's amazing. No freaking out because paint is getting on my living room carpet or kitchen table. We just head into the classroom and have fun. I'm so grateful for that.

I'm also grateful that our basement is half finished and that we've managed to turn one of the rooms into a playroom. So all the toys that used to be in the classroom are downstairs and even further out of sight. I'm all for the babes having tons of toys and flinging them across the room. Just do it downstairs so when we have company coming over i don't have to spend 2 hours picking up toys.

But mostly I'm just grateful to be done with apartment living. I was 22 at the time we bought our house. Done with apartment living at 22. Anyone would be grateful for that.

I'm glad that instead of paying rent we now pay our mortgage. Yea, it still sucks to be shelling out money monthly. but I would rather be paying to eventually own something than paying for something that will never be mine.

Also, I'm a private person. So all of those "maintenence will be coming into your apartmet tomorrow to check your fire alarms or to do a yearly inspection" notices? not so cool with me. I mean I understand why it's done. I just don't like people I don't know coming into my house. especially if I'm not home. Would you?

Hey! I'm Norman. Just here to make sure your shower is working properly.

No. I didn't think so.

And while I completely understand alot of people choose to rent because it's easier or if you live in the big city sometimes it's the only option, it just wasn't an option for us any longer.

So I'm grateful The Marsh broke down and bought me a house. I'm grateful that my children have a place to call home and will grow up here. I'm grateful that I when I finally get around to it can paint the walls any color I want to and nobody can say anything about it. I'm grateful that I don't have to let anyone into my house that I don't want to. And I'm grateful to have a washing machine and dryer.

A year and a half later I am still grateful for the washing machine and dryer.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment