Sunday, February 19, 2012

Peas and Carrots.

Today I am grateful for peas and carrots.


...or rather lemons and blueberries.

because they go together oh so perfectly.

Like peanut butter and jelly


I'm also grateful for:

One: The box of Lemon Supreme cake mix thats been sitting in the back of my pantry for months

and

Two: The ziplock baggy full of extra large blueberries my mother-in-law dropped off.

because yesterday I decided that the two looked lonely and needed to be combined. It was one of the greatest decisions I've ever made in my life.

I originally wanted to make a bundt cake, but after looking all over I discovered that I was in fact delusional and do not own a bundt pan. But i do have a springform pan with a weird bundt like insert so I went with that instead. The end result was not exactly pretty. But it was SO DELICIOUS.

24 hours later less than half remains..

I didn't get a picture of the whole thing. I was too busy eating five two pieces. and it's a very versatile cake. I had a piece last night with vanilla ice cream. it was heavenly. Because it has blueberries I am considering it to also be a breakfast cake, so I had a piece this morning with coffee. it was heavenly as well. The sweetness of the blueberries and glazed icing balanced out the tartness of the lemon just so. mmmm.

I think it may be time for my sixth third piece.

I asked The Marsh tonight "Is it wrong to be grateful for cake?" and he said "cake is never wrong."

actually I don't remember what he said. but thats what I heard.

So because I'm so grateful for this cake I'm hoping you'll all make some for yourself too. try it with coffee. now.

Semi-Homemade Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe

1 box Lemon Supreme betty crocker cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cup water
2 cups large blueberries

Glaze Icing

1 cup white powdered sugar
3 tbs milk (whole is better but I used 2%)
1 tsp lemon juice or lemon extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Follow directions on cake box. once the batter is all mixed, fold in blueberries and place in greased pan. cook time as directed for your choice of pan on the cake box. I actually had to bake my cake for maybe 3-5 minutes longer than what was directed on the box for a bundt cake pan. remove and let cool in pan for 20 minutes.

To make glaze, place powdered sugar and milk in mixing bowl and turn mixer on to low speed. because my mixing bowl in so deep i had to frequently shut off my mixer and stir with a rubber spatula as well. continue mixing on low speed while adding lemon and vanilla. turn mixer up to medium speed and allow it to mix until it reaches a creamy consistency. 2-4 minutes worked for me.

Take cake out of pan and pour glaze over cake while still warm.


yes, those are chocolate chip muffins behind the cake. i was torn on breakfast.

trust me, you'll be so grateful you made this cake! I think I'll have my next slice with vanilla ice cream AND a cup of coffee.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment