Monday, February 6, 2012

Once Upon a Time...

Today I am grateful for books.

I love reading.

One of my requirements goals with my house is to have as many comfortable reading spots as I can. Indoors or outdoors. No matter what the weather.

True Story.
There is just something so freeing about getting lost in an incredible story. I love to take in all the little details. try to figure out what's about to happen or feel the exact way a character is feeling. I give my parents huge amounts of credit for my love of reading. My mom and dad both always had a book in their hands. They would read the same books or series and then talk about them together the way other people discussed movies. or friends. They discussed characters from books as though they were real people. People I wanted to meet too. If they could get so much joy from a book then surely I could too?
And I did.

I do.

I find it amazing that there are people out there who dont.

Seriously? How is that possible?


In fact. I happen to live with one. Although thats a bit harsh. The Marsh does enjoy his car magazines I guess. But he doesn't feel compelled to get lost in a different world. a different time.

And I just don't get it. I mean, people generally like movies, right? and a book is soo much better. So much more plot. so much more detail. I've heard people say that reading is "boring". No you're boring. Ok, maybe you're just reading the wrong book. Give it another try. Find a good author and stick with them. something. anything. I promise it's so worth it.

True Story. Again.

I couldn't imagine my life without books. How bleak life would seem without the my favorite characters. Without ever having read their stories. Without ever having read those amazing lines.

"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."--Mr. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice

"I’m academic. My mind tells me I will never understand God."
"And your heart ?"
"Tells me I am not meant to . Faith is a gift that i am yet to receive"-- Robert Langdon, Camerlengo, Angels and Demons

"It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high.  Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew - and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents - that there was all the difference in the world"--Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince

"Gone. They were simply ... gone. And nothing in the world I could do would bring them back. All I could do was offer them the solace of vengeance. Without becoming a monster myself."--Imriel, Kushiel's Justice

"She did not always feel so absolutely satisfied with herself, so entirely convinced that her opinions were right and her adversary's wrong, as Mr. Knightley."--Emma Woodhouse, Emma

There are just so many. I could keep going all day. I remember the moment I read each line. I remember the way I felt. The sadness. the hope. the satisfaction.

And even though there are some books, some stories that are sad (I'm looking at you The Time Traveler's Wife) I will never regret reading them. They just amaze me. Or make me extremely grateful for what I have. Or in some cases what I don't have. Like a husband who randomly time travels.

I can remember staying up way past bed time completely absorbed in a story. I can remember hiding a book under my desk at school so I could keep reading while my teacher lectured.

I can't even begin to tell you how many nights my husband has woken up and said "You're still reading?"

Yes.

I spent my boring Monday with Katniss and Peeta.
What did you do?


So today I am grateful for books. For the wonderful stories I carry with me at all times. The ones that make me so much more. The ones I could never be me without.

Thanks for reading!
Lana


2 comments: