Friday, February 10, 2012

Hop On Pop

Today, I am grateful to Hop on Pop.

It just happens to be my 3 year old's new favorite book.

so much cooler than One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish


And whether or not she is just gaining some serious memorizing skills or serious word recognition, my baby girl can read this whole book by herself.

Amazing? I know.

The Marsh had mentioned that she was following along with him really well. (My babes prefer that their Dad read them their bedtime stories. I have convinced myself this is because they miss him all day and I never leave them alone am here all day. They just need Daddy Time.) The other day he came out after putting them to bed and was just amazed at how much of the book she could read.

So I climbed into bed with her the other night and asked her to read it to me. and she did.

Did I mention that she is 3?

It was seriously the cutest thing I have ever seen. And like I said, maybe she isn't actually "reading". Maybe the rhyming nature of the story has helped her memorize most of it. But I'm pleased to see those skills working so well too. Anything that gets her thinking up a storm and using her brain muscles suits me just fine.

beauty and brains? Eat your heart out.

I'm also extremely grateful that The Marsh's parents saved all of his Dr. Suess (as well as many other) books. I almost had a stroke one day when The Marsh and I were looking at prices. Which I guess weren't so horrible, but since we have a large collection it would have cost a pretty penny to buy them all if we had to.

Listening to her read to her daddy down the hall makes me so happy. and it slightly terrifies me because it's just another thing she does that reminds me everyday how grown up she is getting. How she isn't a little baby anymore. But I'll let her read Hop On Pop as many times as she wants to if it keeps her interested in reading.

Another awesome by-product of the nightly Suess sessions? That gentle rhyming rhythm puts my son to sleep in about 30 seconds flat. And I'm always grateful for babies who fall asleep fast!

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment