Monday, June 11, 2012

Pre-k? When Did That Happen?

Today I am grateful that my son, Brey, had an awesome day.

You see, today was Breyman's screening for pre-kindergarten.

which he'll start in the fall.


I'm obviously taking it very well.

anyway.

I was a little nervous about taking him in to the school. He sees other little kids at family reunions and at the park and such, but he isn't around other little kids that often. and he generally isn't around strange adults. and you know, I'm his mom. I always worry a little bit more that I should about him.

But, of course, he did fantastic. When we arrived at the school they took him away from me so that they could do his vision, hearing, and developmental testing. I almost feel bad for the teacher. i wasn't expecting to not be with him. when she asked me to stay behind, i almost had a stroke. and unfortunately i am one of those people who doesn't have to say anything for people to know exactly what i'm thinking. no poker face here. but i pulled myself together and sat alone (or i guess among the other parents) in the hallway at school waiting for my son to come back to me. and wondering how the hell I suddenly had a child old enough to be going to elementary school. it was a scary thought. and it made me a little emotional.

but at the same time all i could think about was how ready for this next step Brey is. I know he's ready to see other kids everyday and to have fun at school. maybe play t-ball or peewee hockey.

So i'm glad that he managed just fine without his mama. I'm so grateful that he was completely okay to go with his teacher and do exactly what she asked without wigging out. well, he was a tad uncooperative with the hearing test. but not enough for it to be a problem. so we'll count it as a win.

but do you know what I am most grateful for?

when he came out of the classroom and saw me sitting in the hall, he smiled and then ran down the hall and gave me a hug.

phew.

I'm grateful he hasn't forgotten about me yet.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment