Monday, November 12, 2012

Veteran's Day.

Today I am grateful for Veterans.

All of them. as a whole of course.

but more specifically...one veteran.

My big brother, Jorge.


He joined the Army when my son was just a few months old, and left for Iraq three days after my daughter was born.

It was horrible and nervewracking to think of him being over there. I worried about him every single day.. I don't know how people went through this before the internet and technology. at least while he was over there he had access to a computer to let us know that he was okay and doing well. I couldn't imagine not hearing from him for months.

and as tough as it was on us, the missing him and worrying about his safety, i can't even begin to fathem what it was like for him over there. oh sure, he talks about parts of it. but not all of it. and I wish there was someway to take away any horrific memories that he has from there, but that's not how life works.

Life involves war. I also wish that there was someway to stop that from happening, but I can't.

and when times of war happens it takes people who are brave enough (or dumb enough, or just seriously don't have any other options) to go and fight.

I'm so proud of my bro for doing that because I know there is no way in hell that I could have. I'm scared to go to my own bathroom in the dark to pee because i'm scared Norman Bates is going to get me..could you honestly see me in a war zone? uhhh nope.

and since I know I would never be capable of doing it, it gives me that much more respect for him for doing it. he's kind of amazing.

So tonight I'm grateful that I live in a country that so many brave men and women have given the ultimate sacrifice for so that I could continue to have my rights and my freedom. I'm grateful to all those men and women who fought hard for us and were extrordinarly lucky enough to make it home to their families. and I'm grateful to my brother, Jorge, for being such an inspiration to me.

and for finding the one thing that he could that I can't.

I'm proud of him and everyone else should be proud of him and the rest of our troops too.


Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment