Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lunch Date.

Today I am grateful for a lunch date.

If you hadn't noticed by now..family is sort of important to me.

I grew up in a pretty tight nit family and we still try to remain that way to a point.

I'm also trying to raise my children in a similar environment.

It really is okay to be friends with your kids..or your parents..or your siblings..no matter what some quack shrink has to say about setting boundaries and such.

I say boo to that. My children know that I am their mother and that my word is Law. That doesn't mean that I shouldn't be prepared for the fact that they may break that law some day. or that I shouldn't love them because of that.

anyway.

The point? family is family. and I'm not getting all "blood is thicker than water" here. family to me is who you choose to be family with. My parents have "adopted" several people into our family, blood or no. and being a parent biologically certainly doesn't make you a mom or a dad. In my family we understand that. Family are the people that you love and care about above all others. and I'm so grateful to have mine.

and my mom? she's kind of a big deal. (no, that wasn't a fat joke.)

She's amazing. and i love her to pieces. and because I originally thought I would be spending the night with The Marsh sans kiddos until he got ordered to work late, I called up my mom after Brey got on the bus and asked her if she wanted to have lunch with Miss G and I. and while Georgie and I were in the car on the way into town she asked me "momma, why are we having lunch with Mimi?" and I told her the truth. Because Mimi is my mom. because I lover her and she is one of my best friends. G though that was really funny. but when I asked Georgie if she would always be my friend? Of course she said yes.

and then I started thinking abot how in the Lion King, Simba asked Mufasa if they'll always be pals and made myself sad. but georgie being a ham in the backseat cheered me up quickly.

anyway, the point of all of this is to just say that I am grateful that I had lunch with my mom today. I'm grateful that at almost 25 years old,  my mom is still one of my best friends and I cannot see that changing anytime soon. I'm grateful that I have this relationship with her that I can just call her up and say "hey, wanna go get some Subway?" It doesn't have to be fancy or even a super long lunch date. today we just squeaked one in on her lunch break at work, but it was just nice to be able to have a few minutes with my mom to talk about life.

Of course, as mentioned earlier, The Marsh did get ordered to work late tonight, so I ended up getting plenty of time with my mom tonight as we enjoyed some wine and spent some time in her hot tub, but I'm still grateful for the lunch date today anyway.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment