Friday, March 23, 2012

Heart Healthy.

Today I am grateful to be healthy.

Well for the most part. I run. I do yoga. I'm also occasionally grateful for wendy's. so I say for the most part.

But bad eating habits aside, I am healthy. and The Marsh is healthy. and my babes are healthy.

Have you taken a moment to just be grateful that all of your organs work properly today? I know I have. I spoke with a man today who happens to be a diabetic. His diabetes has caused kidney failure and he's now in the process of getting on the transplant list for new ones. in the meantime he has dialysis three times a week. and he's 32 years old.

32 years old.

Thats 8 years older than I am. and only 3 years older than The Marsh.

It's incredibly tragic. and this man has two children. After I spoke with him all I could think about is how lucky my little family is right now. Obviously as a whole we're not untouched by sickness because my father-in-law is battling cancer right now. but all of The Marsh and my's organs are in fine working order. and with any luck we'll stay this way.

We're sure to test out our liver funtionality every so often.

My children are also functioning within normal parameters. (said in spock voice) and I am SOO grateful for that. I'm sure most mothers are. but I am especially grateful because there was the slightest chance that they wouldn't be. a 3% chance to be exact.

The Marsh was born with a "leaky valve" in his heart as he describes it and had to have open heart surgery when he was 24 months old. and there was a 3% chance that my babes could have been born with the same heart defect. When we were pregnant with my son we had to go to a special doctor's office to have our ultrasound so that his heart could be examined closely while he was still in the womb. He passed his exam with flying colors.

When I went for this same ultrasound when I was pregnant with my daughter, the doctor looked at me and said "I can't tell at this point if she has a heart defect or not. you'll need to come back when you're 32 weeks along for another ultrasound." I was 19 weeks at the time. and it was the longest 13 weeks of my life. and when we eventually went back we found out that she was fine as well.


but it was scary there for a minute. there could have been have been a need for surgery. it's definately an easier process than it was 26 years ago when The Marsh had it, but I'm grateful everyday it never came to that. as a small thank you to the world everytime someone asks me if I want to donate to the local children's hospital, St. Jude's, or the children's miracle network I say yes.

I hope all of you out there, if you're lucky enough to be healthy, takes a moment just to be happy. I know life sometimes can seem pretty rough. But unless it's end stage renal failure rough, it wasn't really that bad.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment