Friday, March 9, 2012

Geek Chic.

Today I am grateful to be just a little bit geeky.

or alot geeky depending on whom I'm talking to.

some people might even call me a nerd. and you know? I'm okay with that. In fact, I kinda think it adds to my awesome.

I spent so many years trying to be "cool". (and make no mistake, i AM cool). but I tried to be the "popular" cool. I wanted to fit in with the other kids so I didn't like what they didn't like. Cool girls don't like star trek. they don't own harry potter scarves or one simply doesn't quote lord of the rings.(did you see what I did there?) 

soo I guess I'm about as uncool as uncool gets. I love star trek. I'm sure you've noticed. because I mention Jim Kirk at least once a week. and I made my husband dress up like Mr. Spock for halloween.

heck yes i did.

Last night my dad gave me ten movies. all ten of them were star trek movies. and all I can think is i can't wait to start watching them all again. after I finish watching the original series from 1966. if i'm gonna be a geek, I gotta do this shit right.

I'm also completely in love with Harry Potter. but then again even alot of cool kids like harry potter. but do they like harry potter enough to own a slytherin scarf? hogwarts gloves? a harry potter quidditch baseball tshirt? a golden snitch pin? and yes, even a ginny weasley wand??? I'm not ashamed.

this way!!! the castle is this way!!

I went to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in december and it's probably in my top 10 of greatest moments ever. or at least in the top 15. I totally geeked out. I could have bought even more stuff. I'm still mad at myself for not buying snape's wand, or the T-shirt that said potter on the back.....

and last but not least..the lord of the rings. oh yes. I can quote the lord of the rings.


this one I went into kicking and screaming. not because i thought I wouldn't like it. but because the orcs scared the fuck out of me. my four year old makes me look like a pus. he covers my eyes during  the scary parts. being able to quote the lord of the rings or at least being able to make references to it or understand references made about it made me realize how far into the dork kingdom I have fallen. I mean everyone loves star trek, but knowing all about the shire?? gah. I'm proud and ashamed all at once. or I was. now I'm just proud. and refer to Legolas as my BFF. we do yoga together. in my mind.

Sometimes when I'm talking to my friends or people from work I can see it. that look that says "wow, you're a nerd". some of my more blunt friends and co-workers just go ahead and say it. at first it kind of bothered me. I was all like "wha?? I'm not a nerd?? nerds wear glasses and talk about loser things like star wars (hehe) and red matter.

and then it happened. The Marsh and I were watching tv and this chick on some show asked someone if they have ever seen a star go supernova. it only happens every 50 years she explained. and then I said "unless you have red matter." and then I knew I too was a nerd. geek. whatever.

so now when people say it about me I just accept it. I'm okay with it. why? because I'm a fucking happy person. like annoyingly happy. The Marsh and I are adorable. The babes when they're not stabbing each other are adorable. and if you wanna call me a dork in between complaining about how unhappy you are, go ahead. I'm still gonna be happy even if you aren't.

I read this quote the other day (that I totally can't even handle relating to because it's freaking Jessica Simpson) that i loved..

 "I know who I am, and you kinda' can't mess with that. I'm a go-with-it girl. I have a blast makin' fun of myself and falling on my face and then getting up again, It's so much better than being the cool, deep, tortured artist."

Reading this quote made me grateful that I realized I didn't want to be the cool, deep, tortured artist. I just wanted to be me. geek chic and all.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment