Sunday, August 19, 2012

Peter Pan and Tinkerbell.

Today I am grateful for the few precious moments right before you fall asleep.

of course when I say "few" that can actually range from about a half hour or so to several hours.

But to me, it's all the same really.

It's a quiet, peaceful time. where no one else in my house speaks to me.

the kids are sleeping, The Marsh is sleeping.

it's beautiful, really.

I usually take those moments to read without being interrupted. get completely lost in a story without having to keep part of myself focused on the present. to just get completely immersed.

that may sound silly to you, but after a long day of toddlers and cleaning and life, sometimes a story before bed is exactly the best medicine. who says bedtime stories have to stop simply because we grow up anyway?

and it's where Tinkerbell waits for Peter Pan too, right? That moment between being awake and dreaming, thats where she'll always be? I'm obviously not the only one who knows how special a place that can be.

anyhow, I don't only use the time to read.

I think about what i hope to accomplish with my life. (basic stuff. nothing too dramatic. life altering thinking is saved for the shower)

I think about how I might like to decorate the house someday. what i might like to get The Marsh for Christmas or how I'm going to make my halloween costume. just fun, lovely thoughts that I don't always have time for during the busy day.

I never really realized how important these moments had become to me until I started wishing my day away, just so that I could lay down and read an enjoy the quiet. it's a strange sort of addiction, i guess. and just like any addiction, not quite healthy. oh sure, it's easy to say there is nothing harmless about wanting to head to bed and slow down. but i don't want to spend my life wishing away the days either.

le sigh. my life. it's a battlefield, I tell ya.

Even though I have no desire to spend my days wishing my life away, I still enjoy everything about that quiet time. it's why when I plan on going to sleep in a few minutes I usually end up awake for hours. I relish the moment just a little too much. It ranks right above driving in the car alone with your favorite song on the radio and right below...um. well. let's just say it's certainly not the GREATEST thing in life. but close.

Tonight I'm grateful because with the babes and bed and The Marsh working a double, I managed to sneak in a couple extra hours more than usual. and hey, for something i love so much? I'm definately grateful for that.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment