Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Food For Thought.

Today I am grateful to be an adult.

this comes and goes.

Obviously.

My reasons for being grateful today involve food.

What does being an adult and food have in common?

The right to choose.

I started thinking about this more and more after having a conversation with a co-worker last week about deer meat. which I will never eat. and she wasn't feeling to fond of it either. she had tried some the night before at her boyfriend's house for dinner. and while I know he didn't "force" her to eat it, I would say she felt a little bit obligated. I mean when someone takes the time to cook you a meal you certainly don't want to be rude and not eat it right?

and yet I can tell you with absolute certainty that I would never in a MILLION years have eaten it.

yea. that's not happening.

You can add it to list of other foods that I will never eat.

Moose.

Bear.

Elk.

Caribou.

Buffalo.

Alligator.

Anything you generally might consider "big game".

Horse.

Lamb. (because it's not okay to eat babies)

Sheep.

Veal. (because it's not okay to eat babies)

Snails.

Meatloaf.

Baked Beans.

Bananas.

99% of anything thats swims (or crawls) in a body of water.

Fish are friends. not food.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I will never eat these things. I honestly never will. Some I won't eat on principle, like lamb and veal. some I have never tried and never will because i am just not that brave, ie. alligator. and some I was forced to eat growing up. so I will never touch them again. I hate baked beans. and i really hate meatloaf.  One of the greatest parts about growing up for me was the ability to say "no thanks, I'd rather not" when it comes to food. I promised myself when I moved out of my mother's house that I would never eat another bite of meatloaf again. and so far so good. The Marsh likes it, so unfortunately for him he doesn't get to eat it very often. but sometimes his mom makes it and he has some. I usually cook a frozed pizza instead.

and while becoming an adult certainly has it's downsides, like you know, paying the bills. (unless you were smart enough to get a smart/hott guy named The Marsh to pay them for you) It certainly has it's advantages. I make my own rules. and one of those rules is "No eating foods that are spelled weird" I'm not kidding. I'll never eat a quiche based on it's spelling alone. and there is no one there forcing me too.  I'm totally in control of my own food. 90% of the time my diet is boring. sometimes I venture out of my little shell when I'm on vacation. or when I'm feeling kind enough to throw The Marsh a bone when he asks me to try something. But I decide when and what.

I think all the headaches that come with being an adult are totally justified by being able to control my own food intake. and I know I'm not crazy. Everebody has that one food out there that their mom made them eat growing up that they hated right? I'm sure lots of people are grateful to grow up and never be force fed baked beans again. although come to thinkof it baked beans are the one food The Marsh is actually pretty pushy about me eating. maybe after the next five years of death stares he'll take the hint it's never gonna happen.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment