Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Skype.

Today I am grateful for Skype.

I can't even believe that I'm actually saying this.

or typing it, rather.

but it's true.

A couple years ago my good friend Corey tried to convince me to get skype so that I could talk to him after he moved to Washington D.C. for grad school. and because I'm a shitty friend a little bit afraid of certain technologies, I never actually downloaded it. and he's since moved back home now, so I figured I was in the clear. I no longer had to worry about it, right? wrong.

cue my best friend going to London for five weeks.

now, the semi-hilarious part of all of this, is that my best friend actually lives in Boston. Two states away from where I currently live. so it's not like we "see" each other all the time anyway. although we do suprisingly enough make quite a bit of time for one another. but we're used to alot of our conversations being on the phone for the most part.

but with her going to London talking on the phone is harder. she has an international phone she is using for right now, but it's easy to just message online. or it was until she forced  asked me to get skype so that we could chat via our webcams.



I've seen yahoo instant messenger via webcam and such before, but i never took a moment to really appreciate the amazingness of all this technology.

This morning I had a conversation face to face with my best friend over my morning coffee. The fact that she is on a completely different continent? no biggie.

I'd go so far as to say i feel a little silly i never downloaded skype before, but i'm really not. i think i just needed something important to download it for. Kristy going to London was the push i needed. and i'm just so grateful for it now. to talk to her. and see her. and know that she's safe over there. to hear her funny stories and listen to her talk about the crown jewels and be able to see her facial expressions? amazing.

I'm also grateful that i finally broke down and downloaded it because now when Kristy gets back to the states we're going to be able to have coffee dates more often. she is starting grad school in the fall, so any trips back home with most likely be very infrequent. i'm looking foward to being able to skype with her when she has a few down moments.

oh old technology that feels new to me..how i love thee.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment