Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be My Valentine!

Today I am grateful for Valentine's Day.

That's right. No Valentine's Day bashing from this girl.

I'm not super crazy and all about Valentine's Day. I don't wait with bated breath for it to come around every year. But I certainly think it's a nice holiday. I mean really, who wouldn't want to celebrate LOVE?

...Besides all those cranky single people out there.

Obviously not all single people hate Valentine's Day. But you know the ones? They start making comments about all the candy and the flowers and the cards and just try to bring everyone else down. They talk about how they avoid those aisles like the plague and how it's just a dumb "hallmark" holiday. Personally I think Valentine's Day should be renamed to "When happy couples celebrate not having to go through all the drama of dating that the single people do Day". Catchy? No?

....anyway as I was saying before my rant. I happen to like Valentine's Day. Even married people sometimes bash on it for being such a commercial holiday. "People should celebrate their love for each other everyday". Why yes. They should. I also think that my existence is something spectacular eveyday too, but I'm not getting a new birthday present everyday. People should be thankful for family and friends everyday, but we don't eat turkey everyday either. My point is that it's nice to have a dedicated day to be able to just take a moment to say "I love you" or "You're special to me".

Somebody please explain to me how candy and flowers are complicated.

Life is busy.

Sometimes I have absolutely no idea when The Marsh and I will go on our next date. Which by the way I'm also extremely grateful for because I know that alot of couples with kids don't even get the opportunity for date night. But I know come february (not this year, but most years) I have a date night on the books. February 14th The Marsh and I get to have a few hours of uninterrupted conversation amidst some good food and some good wine. Why would I complain about that? Give me a few more "hallmark" holidays thank you very much.

Today was a more low key Valentine's Day for my family, but I still apprciated it. The Marsh and my babes stopped by my work with some beautiful flowers for me.

so pretty.

When my daughter saw me she shouted "Happy Valentine's Day, Mommy! We brought you flowers!" about as loud as she was capable of. It was adorable. and so so sweet. I know that The Marsh and the babies give me hugs and kisses and tell me they love me everyday. but this was special. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a day for special moments.

We stayed in this year. No date night for us. We had dinner at the table with out children. Hot dogs, broccoli, and macaroni and cheese. jealous? It was velveeta mac and cheese too. Now I know you're jealous.

No it wasn't a night out on the town at a five star restaurant. But I was with my husband, and I could see my pretty flowers sitting on my counter. And I didn't have any reason to not be happy.

I'm grateful that I love. and I'm grateful to be loved. On Valentine's Day. and Everyday.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment