Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Yes on 1.

Today I am grateful for Yes on 1.

Here in Maine, marriage equality was a question on the ballot. again.

obviously, it didn't go well the first time for us marriage equality supporters.

but last year there was a petition to get it back on the ballot for this election. a petition that my husband and I were both happy to sign.

Same-sex marriage is a hugely sensitive topic, but one that is so very important to me. not only because I have many people whom I love and respect very dealy who happen to be gay, but because I honestly cannot imagine ever voting to supress someone's basic human right. everyone in this country should be equal. and everyone deserves a chance at their own happily ever after. for this and many reasons I was proud to vote yes, that I do believe that maine should issue marriage certificates to same-sex couples.

I bet those conservatives thought they had this thing in the bag.

but I am extremely happy to report that Yes on 1 passed, and same-sex couples can now marry in the state of Maine.

I am so grateful that this passed. and I am so grateful right now to be a Mainer.

but you know what else is awesome? Maine wasn't the only state with same-sex marriage on the ballot last night. Maryland, Minnesota, and Washington State all did as well.

and same-sex marriage passed in every. single. one.

This is just incredible to me. I'm so grateful to see our country making the right kind of progress on such an important issue.

Now, I am aware, that there are just some states that will NEVER pass same-sex marriage. they're just too deeply conservative. and even with a President who openly supports same-sex marriage, I can't see it becoming a federal issue YET. but maybe someday. I would certainly love to see that in my lifetime.

but for right now I will just be grateful that I now live in a state where everyone is on an equal playing field.

well. at least in the marriage department.

Thanks for reading!
Lana

1 comment:

  1. I agree! This has restored my faith in the people of Maine, I am so happy to be able to see my friends get to marry the ones they love.

    Now if we can just get Rhode Island, we would be able to to show that all of New England is united for equality. :)

    ReplyDelete